Thursday, May 7, 2009

Response: The 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners

The 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners are:
  1. Begin with the end in mind
  2. Accept responsibility for your own learning
  3. View problems as challenges
  4. Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner
  5. Create your own learning toolbox
  6. Use technology to your advantage
  7. Teach/mentor others

Being new to my position at the Columbus Public Library, I have a big to-do list, a lot of ideas, and high expectations both internal and external. I plan to use the habits listed above to focus my ideas and create a plan of action for each area I'm responsible for in our library.

Goal setting is a challenging concept for me. I like to make lists and start with a goal in mind, but I'm very flexible and can abandon a plan if another one presents itself as better, more efficient, or if another situation arises that is more urgent. I don't see this flexibility as a weakness, but it does make me nervous to sign a contract - even one that's just for me!

I definitely see problems as challenges. I tend to look at a situation and think, "What's not working here?" or "How could this be improved?" In event planning meetings, I'm the person who says, "And what's our game plan if it rains?" I anticipate possible challenges and enjoy meeting them with thoughtfulness and creativity.

Building my learning toolbox will be key to my success in my first year as full-time staff in the library. My toolbox will include the resources I gather, trainings and workshops I attend, and the knowledge I gained in another department in the library. I also want to find a mentor and return to college.

No comments:

Post a Comment